One Long Day!

{Capt. Tornado...cutie!}

Hello All!!

I've missed you!!

It's been a long couple of months and I've been enjoying 'almost' all of it. I've totally missed blogging and chatting with friends...but I've loved spending more time with my family.

This all started when I tried to 'Unplug' (previous post) for ONE DAY! Yes, that's right, TRIED!! I never thought of myself as being addicted to the computer until that very long day. All that was asked was to not use electronics for 24 hours...I thought it would be easy. Nope. Not easy. Having withdrawals isn't easy, it's painfully embarrassing.

This is what my day looked like on 'Unplug Day':

  • 8a - Urge to check email....you never know 'who' could have sent me a message. It could have been very important. Right?
  • 8:15 - " " " "....you know the rest!
  • 8:30 - Thinking of reasons for checking email.
  • 8:45 - Thinking of excuses to check email.
  • 9a - Panic sets in! I must be missing something. (while 3yo watches movie)
  • 9:15 - Thinking of taking 3yo to ZOO, while other kids are at school...starts to RAIN!
  • 9:16 - Thinking of very colorful words to use because it's raining and now what am I going to do?
  • 9:30 - Bored! Laundry needs to be done and groceries need to be bought but I'm bored!
  • 9:45 - Thinking of an excuse to use the Internet.
  • 9:45 1/2 - Got it! My excuse to use the Internet is to get a recipe for cookies (a recipe for cookies that I wouldn't normally use but it gets me one the Internet without feeling guilty because the cookies are for my kids!)
  • 10a - Decided to do some Digital Scrapbooking and that was the end of that.
That is the saddest FAST from ELECTRONICS I've ever seen.

So, I got to thinking! Maybe I'm addicted to the computer? You think?

I'm sure you'll agree with me, when I say, I needed to 'Cut the Cord!' And I did.

It was hard. But the more time that went by, the more time I spent with my family. Especially my 3yo, who was missing out on Mommy time, while the older kids were at school.

I'm so glad I learned this lesson, it was hard and embarrassing, but it was necessary for me...to become a better Me, Wife and Mother.

Thanks, Melissa!

2 comments:

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Yeah...but will it stick???? ;-) Just popping in to say hello and have a great sunday...I am off to Costco!!!

Sugar Jones said...

I figured that's what happened when I saw the Unplug post. We were just thinking you died and nobody bothered to tell us!

I think we all go through that. It's great to have those contacts on line, but it's even better to hang out in person. I've been making huge efforts to meet my on-line friends in real life.

So glad to read you again. I missed you!